Some interesting (or not) stats of the Top 10

the place to celebrate, vent or just kill time at work...

Some interesting (or not) stats of the Top 10

Postby BlueCheeseHead » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:16 pm

fueled by my reply to wol-va-rine down below regarding the 'defense wins championships' mantra. I originally had it in that response and then realized that not only was it overwhelming in length, but the brilliance of it would get lost in the shuffle :lol:

TOP TEN (current) TEAMS:

Florida is an interesting case. They have the #101 ranked offense in the country, and yet the 2 games they struggled most in (237 vs LSU and 183 vs SCarolina) are games they won; 14-6 / 44-11 respectively. In the case of SC, FL had a short field to start with on almost every scoring drive - mostly due to turnovers. So there's a case where the offensive stats don't really match up to the performance. We all learned the same during the RR years - as horrible as our D stats were, they weren't aided by the fact that our offense was a quick-strike/up-tempo offense and that we turned the ball over too much. Both of those things not only forced the D to be on the field a whole lot, but put the other teams in position to rack up yards & points.

Of the current Top Ten teams in the country [ND, AL, GA, FL, OR, KSU, LSU, STAN, A&M, SCar], among all D1 teams they average to the following:

#52.7 Offense
#21.4 Defense

> With the exception of Florida, ALL of the teams with either zero or 1 loss have a variance between O/D rankings of 42 or less: ND 42, Bama 42, GA 2, FL 96, OR 42, KSU 15

> The 2 loss teams have a variance larger than 50: LSU 69, Stan 64, A&M 50, SC 75

> Of ALL of the Top 10, only A&M has a variance where the Offense is ranked higher than the Defense, and yet of all of the 2-loss teams they have the lowest variance. In other words, the difference in the effectiveness of their offense vs defense is the lowest of their group.

> A&M also has the highest rated offense in the Top 10 (3), but the lowest rated defense (53), and yet they beat the highest rated 1-loss team (Bama)

> Maybe most significantly of all the stats (throw out the 'great D' / 'great O' debates): ALL of the Top 10 teams, except A&M are ranked 50 or higher in Turnover Margin and are a positive in that category

> Vs other Top 10 teams, Florida is the King at 3-1 (ND is "perfect" at 1-0, but I mean ONE game vs a Top 10 team vs four?). LSU (2-2), Bama, Stanford and Georgia (all 1-1) are at .500, while SC and A&M are 1-2. Oregon is 0-1 and Kansas State is 0-0....they haven't played a single Top 10 team. Why is the Big12 so highly rated by the computers again?

> Another seemingly very significant stat is SCORING DEFENSE. Of the Top 10, every one of them is ranked 30 or higher.

> Conversely, in Scoring OFFENSE half of the Top 10 are Top 20 ("elite"), while the other half are fair or worse [SC 43, LSU 54, Stan 63, FL & ND 75]

> ALL of the Top 10 except KSU are 38th or Better in 3rd Down DEFENSE, allowing less than 40% conversions for opposing offenses

> Conversely, 6 of the 10 have Top 30 3rd Down OFFENSES [A&M 1, KSU 11, AL 18, ND 20, OR 22, GA 27] and the other 4 are a crap shoot [SC 43, LSU 53, Stan 74, FL 84].

> In RED ZONE OFFENSE, only Notre Dame has a Red Zone O that has scored less than 80% of the time. They are ranked 73rd in the country. Each of the other Top 10 teams are ranked between 45th [SC & FL] and 9th [Bama].

> Time of Possession seems to be a fairly useless stat (as my long-held belief has been) in that only 3 of the Top 10 are in the Top 20 [FL 6, ND 11, KSU 17]. Four more in the Top 50 [Stan 21, AL 29, LSU 33, SC 49] and the rest.....interestingly the more open/up-tempo offenses...are 90th or lower [GA 91, A&M 93, OR 101]

So make of those stats what you will. It appears that D stats fuel the higher ranked teams more than offensive stats do, but it appears that effectiveness and turnovers are the real key (note, for example, that while A&M's D stats aren't the greatest overall, they are ranked 30th in scoring D and 11th in 3rd Down D)

Geez, how'd I get off on this tangent???? I really should put these into a spreadsheet and create my own formula for picking winners in games... :D
BlueCheeseHead
Site Admin

Return to General